30 April 2012

Composition I Narrative Paper

  Not in anyway giving anyone permission to plagiarize or copy this and also not verifying the authenticity of any of the information. Also note that there are probably no sources listed and I am not one myself, so don't quote me. This is just some of my homework; thought it might be interesting to someone:

Narrative Paper
05/26/2011
                In 2007, at the age of 19, I deployed to Iraq for the first time in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom V.  Over the course of fifteen months, I served as an Infantryman and conducted about forty raids resulting in the capture of multiple suspected terrorists and weapons caches.  Many of the soldiers that I served with quickly became desensitized to the everyday hardships that innocent families go through in war-torn, underdeveloped countries.  The sweltering heat, back-breaking weight of our gear, and wretched stench made it easy to forget that we were dealing with people not too different from us.  Because of an experience that I had with an Iraqi family in 2007, I will always remember that no issue, even the capturing of a terrorist, should be viewed as completely positive or negative.
                My unit was stationed in the city of Hit in the Al-Anbar province of Iraq.  Over the course of a few months, we had systematically conducted raids, patrols, and stakeouts to run insurgents out of the area so that it could be returned to the local security forces.  Normally, we would quietly enter houses in the middle of the night to exploit our advantage of having night-vision goggles.  This mission was different; we were going to pull up to the house of a suspected terrorist in thirty-three ton Bradley Fighting Vehicles.  In an urban environment, the Bradley sounds like a derailed train roaring through your neighborhood.
                At about midnight, the nine members of my squad crammed ourselves into the back of two Bradleys and started heading towards the objective.  We had been briefed earlier that night by our platoon leader that our mission was to detain a known insurgent living in the city.  His role was to give religious permission and blessings to Jihadists.  We had no idea if this man was going to be armed or defended.  The inside of the Bradley was too deafening to hear each other talk, so each of us sat and pondered what would be waiting inside the house. 
                After riding for a few minutes, the Bradleys stopped and the driver dropped the ramp to let us out of the back.  We fell into a line and jogged towards the front door of the target house.  As we approached the door, a member of my squad pulled a shotgun off of his back and blasted the hinges off of the door.  As I entered the house, all I could hear was the high-pitched ringing in my ears and the frantic thumping of my heart in my chest.   We moved quickly through the rooms searching for hostiles, weapons, and our target insurgent but after a few moments, I realized that the situation was not what we had expected.
                The living room and both bedrooms of the house were full of sleeping people, made up mostly of women and children.  As we burst into each room with our weapons raised and ready, the startled inhabitants burst into screams and cries.  I started trying to herd them all into one bedroom towards the front of the house, using what little, broken Arabic I knew, so that we could continue our search.  After a few minutes, one of our guys found the target hiding under a bed and detained him with cuffs.  The rest of us continued to hastily search the house for evidence and use interpreters to gather information about the other people there.
                Like many others, our “target” was using the money he made working for insurgents to provide for his brothers, parents, wife, and children.  He was a person trying to survive, just like us.  As we blind-folded and marched the man back to our Bradley for transport to a detainee facility, his wife, mother, and daughters all screamed and sobbed.  The hatred that they felt for us was overwhelming.  Without the man of the house, they would have no money for clothes or food.  In the eyes of his sons and brothers, I could see a desire for vengeance forming; I was watching new terrorists emerge.  Everyone there knew that it would be a long time before they saw him again, if they ever did. 
Any feelings of a mission accomplished were replaced with confusion and guilt.  In about twenty minutes, we had changed the lives of an entire family, including innocent children, forever.  I realized then that one seemingly justified action can have unexpected and undesired effects.  Because of that experience, I will always remember that there are unseen consequences to all of our interactions with other people and that no issue, even the capturing of a terrorist, should be viewed as completely positive or negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment